Friday, January 25, 2008

Facebook

If you’re reading this and you don’t know what Facebook is, you are hereby dubbed “a nerd”. What makes you such involves a combination of factors:
1. You haven't heard of Facebook.
2. You haven't joined Facebook.
or

3. You're reading this blog.

I like Facebook for the innumerable groups one can join. For instance, I think someone should start a group called “Toilet paper: do you crumple it or neatly roll it around your hand?” It'd be really classy and it'd be amazing hearing how passionate folks can be about their viewpoint. Anyhoo, it would be a great way to meet new people and get to know them more, um, intimately.

Also, as a pastor I couldn’t think of anything more nifty than that News Feed thingy: it helps me keep tabs on my parishioners so I can call them up short when I catch them in a little cyber-gossip.

I also like folks to know just how very lonely I am through this social-cattle-herding tool. For instance, just last week I sent out this picture to some friends:It was accompanied with this message: “Sometimes I feel like a pathetic little pink birdie that lays eggs wrapped in foil. Who out there has ever felt like that, too? I know there must be many of you. So, so many people who just go thru life feeling like a sad little fuzzy pink birdie that lays eggs wrapped in foil. Sniff, Troy”

What can I say? Facebook is indispensable.

It seems like facebook has been a part of life for so long that I actually had to look up the date when I signed up. I haven’t even been on for a year, but it’s hard to remember what it was like before facebook. I have had a blog for quite awhile. I had a MySpace page briefly but never used it (it was mainly to keep in touch with family, but it didn’t really help).

Facebook is a whole different ballgame. For me the best thing about it (other than the ongoing friendly rivalry with my hubby about whom has the most friends) is getting back in touch with people I haven’t talked to for years. Just this week I found a friend from jr. high. It doesn’t mean that all the people I knew in junior high are going to be my best friends now, but I really like the sense of connection it brings.

Of course, facebook is the perfect tool for a nosy person like me. I can check everyone’s status to see what they are up to. I can poke them, or throw a sheep at them, just to let them know I care. What could be more convenient? So yeah, for me and all the other stalkers out there, it’s a great way to keep tabs on your friends!

2 comments:

spain dad said...

Hmmm...I think you just called me a nerd.

The O said...

"Toilet paper: do you crumple it or neatly roll it around your hand?”


Um. Before or *shudder* After using it?

(*duck*)