Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Linus

Linus is the President of the organization we work for (Christian Associates). He came to Madrid on Monday for a three-night visit. Last night, we had him over to our place for dinner.

In 1995, Heather and I heard about an organization called Christian Associates. My father-in-law (Ken) was being interviewed for a position with another organization, and the person who was doing the interview (Bruce) got curious about Heather and me. As Ken told Bruce about us, Bruce said that he was on the board of Christian Associates. “And,” Bruce said to Ken, “your kids would be a great fit.” Bruce gave us some details to contact a person called Linus at the Christian Associates office in California. That was on a Sunday.

I planned on calling Linus later that week. But on Wednesday Linus beat me to the punch. The last thing I expected was a phone call from the President of the organization.

Linus began, “Bruce tells me you’re interested in using drama in ministry. Tell me how you would go about doing that.”

The phone conversation lasted about two hours. To this day, it amazes me that a man like Linus, with all that he has to do, still takes time to listen to and care for “the little people”.

This may sound strange, but one of the things I admire most about Linus is the fact that he almost always volunteers to wash the dishes when he’s had dinner in someone else’s home. When I think of Linus, the first word that pops into my head is “humility.” Linus, thank you for your humble leadership. I appreciate you greatly and am one of your biggest fans.

Even though Linus is the founder and current president of our mission, there is not one ounce of superiority in his body. He’s one of the most down-to-earth people I have ever met, and also one of the wackiest.

For instance, today while he was here for lunch, he decided that he was going to steal Kelly’s spot on the couch and promptly did a flying nose dive over the back of the couch. Such dignity and grace in a leader is a beautiful thing to behold.

He also will wrestle you for the space on the arm-rest between airplane seats, if you decide to take more than half of your allotted space. He’s tenacious, and he WILL win.

Linus has recruited more people into our mission than the rest of us combined, probably. We joke that he will recruit anything that moves. Thing is, people always say yes to him. He is a very winsome person. Yesterday our friend Mary met him and later said that he had a very friendly face and that she wanted to pat him on the head but didn’t because she didn’t know if that was allowed.

The best thing about Linus is his incredible heart for people. He is one the most compassionate, empathetic people I know.

He’ll also bring you jelly packets he picks up for free in random places.

1 comment:

Paulo J said...

mary hasn't offered to pat me on the head, yet, but she does call me 'munchkin'. she's the only one, actually.