Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Magazines

If we had more money, I think I’d be a magazine junkie. Here are some of the magazines I would subscribe to:

-Time
-Newsweek
-Reader’s Digest
-Sports Illustrated
-Christian History
-Christianity Today
-Leadership Journal
-National Geographic
-The New Yorker
-The Atlantic

I don’t think I’d be interested in having subscriptions to People or Us or other “celebrity gossip” magazines, but I must say that if I’m sitting next to someone that’s leafing through one, I will look over their shoulder to get the latest mud.

At various times we have had subscriptions to Newsweek, Reader’s Digest and Christianity Today but, to be honest, it’s too expensive keeping up with it all so we tend to use the internet a lot more now, since most of these magazines put much of their content online anyway.

Awhile ago I bought a CD-Rom containing 45 issues of Christian History, so that pretty much serves as my “nerd fix” for the rest of my life.

When I was a kid I enjoyed leafing through magazines of high art. Sneaking peaks at my brother's *ahem* Playboy magazine collection that he had hidden underneath his mattress happened to be one of my preferred *ahem* "reads". You can be sure that one is off my list now.

I also liked Archie comics:


And I think my all-time favorite is….(drum roll, please)…Mad Magazine. If you’ve never heard of it, here are a few cover designs. You’ll get the picture in no time.

(I also like how the price of the magazine is "$1.00 CHEAP". Here's another one that'll give you a chuckle.)





I love magazines. When I was in college, I worked as the periodical assistant in our college library, which got me forever hooked. It was my job to check the new periodicals in, put an orange dot on them and stamp them with the “Northwestern College Library” stamp and then shelve them. If I had time, I would read them on my lunch hour before they were put into circulation.

I have had a life-long friendship with Reader’s Digest; I grew up with them in the house (along with the Reader’s Digest condensed books). Almost without fail, when I arrive in America, my first treat is a copy of Reader’s Digest, and Good Housekeeping. I love having fresh new magazines to read on the plane. Recently we were visiting friends in the military, and one of my treats was the current Good Housekeeping.

When we lived in the US, I had a few subscriptions over time. I think I subscribed to a few parenting magazines when Meg was born, and some cross-stitch magazines. We subscribed to Newsweek for awhile when we lived in Barcelona.

Nowadays we don’t have a single subscription, which may be a good thing because we don’t have much space either. Thankfully, a lot of magazines now have online issues, which I can see from Madrid, and don’t kill trees.

But I’m still always thrilled when Lucy sends me her issues of Today’s Christian Woman.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I worked in the library when I was in college, too, but I processed book acquisitions rather than periodicals. One day, during finals week, after a couple of all-nighter study sessions, I fell asleep at my desk with a pen still in my hand. When I woke up, I found that I had written on the paper in front of me in my sleep--five words in Spanish! I went and told my boss it was probably best that I go home for the day. She agreed.